Neunkirchen is one of the oldest settlements in the Vienna Basin and has first been officially mentioned in 1094. On account of its market right and the right to mint and issue coins, it was one of the most significant trade spots in the 12th century. During the 13th century, the place was home to several tournaments of the Styrian minstrel Ulrich von Liechtenstein. In 1920, the market municipality has been renamed into a town. Presently, Neunkirchen counts around 11.000 inhabitants. The industrial village of the 19th century has been turned into a dreamy yet modern district capital and shopping town.