The capital of the province of Salzburg is the fourth-biggest city in Austria and, with its Baroque cupolas and churches, towered by the famous Hohensalzburg fortress, known as one of the most beautiful towns of the world.
The Illyrians gave the name "Iuvavum" ("seat of the Gods") to the city and the Celts and the Romans adopted it. In 696 the history of today´s city began, when St. Rupert founded the Abbey of St. Peter and Nonnberg Abbey. Under the rule of the Archdukes , the religious sovereigns of the country, the Fortress of Hohensalzburg was built and at the same time it became a Baroque residence. In 1816 Salzburg became a part of Austria and in 1920 capital of the Austrian province.
The city on the Salzach river owes its world fame to the composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart who was born here in 1756. In 1870 an international foundation called "Stiftung Mozarteum" was founded and since 1920 the Salzburg Festival has been held annually.