The 137m-high steeple, called "Steffl", is Vienna's most famous landmark. The only remains of the late Roman parts of the cathedral are the western frontage with the "Riesentor" gate and the "heathen towers". The Gothic-style nave was built in 1359, the southern steeple (Stephansturm) was finished in 1433.
Nave, transept, aisle, the early Gothic choir and the impressive vaults are of major interest, as is the 4m-high pulpit built by Anton Pilgram (1514-15).
The sarcophagus of Emperor Friedrich III is an elaborately decorated piece of Gothic art. It was designed by Niclas Gerhaert van Leyden.
U1, U3, 1A - Stehpansplatz