Opposite the cathedral stands the Romanesque-Gothic building of the Fraumünster. When King Louis the German gave the Fraumünster to his daughter Hildegard in 853, the documented history of this formerly-important convent began.
The big medieval church was erected in six periods of construction. In the middle of the 9th century the first building activities began. The decisive restructuring in the gothic style started in the second half of the 13th century and lasted for two decades. This gave the Fraumünster the appearance it retains today.
In 1967 the Church Council of the Fraumünster commissioned Marc Chagall to create windows with scenes of the Old and New Testaments for the choir. Chagall devoted the north wall to the Prophets' Window; on the east wall, Jacob's Window, Christ's Window and Zion's Window; and on the south wall, the Law Window. In 1978, at 90 years of age, Chagall created the small rose window in the southern transept. Due to Chagall's works it is almost forgotten that in 1945 Augusto Giacometti created the windows entitled "The Heavenly Paradise" in the northern transept.