The village is located at the meeting point of the Chiese, Rendena and Giudicarie valleys. It is near to the Adamello-Brenta Park, the Dolomites, Lake Garda and the town of Trento. It is a pleasant starting point for marvelous excursions in the area. In every season, Tione and its surroundings have something to offer even the most demanding visitors with its wide range of environmental, naturalistic and artistic routes.
Tione lies at the foothills of Monte Gaggio in an area, also known locally as the "Busa", which is crossed by the river Sarca and the Arnò torrent. It is the chief town of the Valli Giudicarie, as well as the administrative, commercial and scholastic center.
Tione became important only when the seat of jurisdiction was transferred here from Stenico. Later, following the administrative reorganisation and abolition of the Principality and Bishopric of Trento two centuries ago, Tione grew in importance, gradually becoming the seat of all the legal, political and administrative offices of the valleys.
As a town Tione began to grow after the last war, extending towards the north and expanding from the foot of the mountain to beyond the ring road, but it has maintained its old division into the districts of Brevine, Cantes, Ville, Pleù, Sivrè and Basso Arnò.
Saone is situated in the north-eastern part of the valley of Tione on the right bank of the Sacra river. Until 1700 Saone belonged to the parish of Bleggio. Between 1810 and 1821 it was a hamlet of the village Tione, between 1822 and 1927 Saone became a village of its own. However, since 1928 the hamlet once more has been part of Tione.