Holidays Castelfondo

Map
According to an old legend, on the hollow overlooking the actual village there was a small lake on which a statue of the Madonna was seen floating. The ancient village Arbace stood near the Dal Sant capital and was probably destroyed by natural disaster in 1400.
The old name of the village was Castrum Fundi and in fact it was a Roman "castrum" and from here they used to access the outposts of Castrin and Le Palade along the old Roman road which can still be seen today with the typical arch structure at the bottom of the village. These two outposts were the last barriers defending the whole Non highland from the Barbaric invasions during the late empire. In the Middle Ages Castelfondo was the seat of the eponymous judicature which included a large part of the Val di Non and up to the village of S. Romedio.
Castelfondo is divided into three main centers: Villa, Plaz and Cologna. Rural-elegant houses mixed with buildings typical of the country tradition of the Val di Non. Of the elegant palaces it is worth mentioning Casa Lorenzetti and Casa Dalla Chiesa which is decorated with a precious Crucifixion painted by Gaspar Blattmirer in 1437. The parish church of S. Nicolò was re-built between 1508 and 1530 by Pietro Carloni from San Fedele di Intelvi and was enlarged in the last century. You should visit also Castelfondo Castle and Vigna Castle.
Of the elegant palaces it is worth mentioning Casa Lorenzetti and Casa Dalla Chiesa which is decorated with a precious Crucifixion painted by Gaspar Blattmirer in 1437. The parish church of S. Nicolò was re-built between 1508 and 1530 by Pietro Carloni from San Fedele di Intelvi and was enlarged in the last century. You should visit also Castelfondo Castle and Vigna Castle.
More Information - Details
go to top of page

Information on the region

According to an old legend, on the hollow overlooking the actual village there was a small lake on which a statue of the Madonna was seen floating. The ancient village Arbace stood near the Dal Sant capital and was probably destroyed by natural disaster in 1400.
The old name of the village was Castrum Fundi, as indicated in antique documents, and in fact it was a Roman "castrum" and from here they used to access the outposts of Castrin and Le Palade along the old Roman road which can still be seen today with the typical arch structure at the bottom of the village. These two outposts were the last barriers defending the whole Non highland from the Barbaric invasions during the late empire. In the Middle Ages Castelfondo was the seat of the eponymous judicature which included a large part of the Val di Non and up to the village of S. Romedio.
Castelfondo is divided into three main centers: Villa, in the lower part, Plaz, in the middle, and Cologna in the upper part. Rural-elegant houses mixed with buildings typical of the country tradition of the Val di Non. Of the elegant palaces it is worth mentioning Casa Lorenzetti and Casa Dalla Chiesa which is decorated with a precious Crucifixion painted by Gaspar Blattmirer in 1437. The parish church of S. Nicolò was re-built between 1508 and 1530 by Pietro Carloni from San Fedele di Intelvi and was enlarged in the last century. You should visit also Castelfondo Castle and Vigna Castle.
go to top of page

Climate & Weather

Weather Conditions
  • today
    24.11.2017
    1 / 7 °C
  • Tomorrow
    25.11.2017
    -1 / 2 °C
  • Sunday
    26.11.2017
    -12 / 0 °C
  • Monday
    27.11.2017
    -13 / 0 °C
go to top of page

Arrival & Address

The village can easily be reached from north and south on the state road SS 43 (signpost Valle di Non - Passo Mendola), SS 42 - (Tonale-Mendola).
Get route
The nearest railway station is Trento (Munich-Rome, Valsugana-Trento-Venice); train Trento-Malé.
The nearest airports are Catullo in Verona (90 km distance), Marco Polo in Venice (195 km), Milano Linate (245 km) and the new airport in Bolzano (60 km).
flight reservation
A.P.T. VALLE DI NON
Via Roma,21
38013 Fondo, Italy